Friday, March 04, 2005

The Tide rolled out, and the rolled back again

A good friend of mine has Bipolar disorder. It all cropped up last year when, after a few years of uneployment under Bush, he got a job which turned out to be higher stress than anything he had experienced in his life. He sank into a deep depression, then the stress pushed him over the edge. He basicly lost his mind.

Some thing in him just snapped. From the way he described it, it was like his brain was chewing itself apart and he could do nothing to stop it.

He spend a few weeks in a hospital, trying to get it back together again and then the deemed he was well enough to go home, and figured out with the help of his therapist that he should not go back to the same job as he had. It was too many hours, too much stress. His employer gave him two months to find a different job in the same company, or out the door he went.

He is unemployed.

-----------------------

My point for telling you about him is that this is one such person in perhaps many who are affected by employment beyond just a job and a paycheck. I've heard about others who experience what I call re-entry stress.

I say on the top of my blog that I am unemployed. I have been for some time now, a couple of years. I am afraid about the reentry stress, and I dont think I am alone.

The government issues statistics for unemployment, and that number drops sometimes. I more often think it is people like me for whom unemployment ran out. We dropped off, and the number of people who collect unemployment goes down.

But there is no way to measure the stresses of unemployment or being remployed.

-----------------------

Unemployment stress is the continual worry and strain of how will bills be payed, when will some money come in.

Re-employment stress is wondering if this will last and will you be unemployed again soon. Are you doing a good job? Are you doing what they expected of you and is this working out?

Some bosses are very good at telling you what is going on, others just don't.

If you are employing someone who has been out of work a while, please take this into account and handle them with great care. For inside is a person who will be a great employee, just help them work it out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home