Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Without a care in the world...

Have you ever known someone who was able to do something with out worry about what people thought of them?

I love to watch Mikhail Baryshnikov dance. Those who don't know him, meaning you are on the younger side, he was a Russian ballet dancer who defected to Canada and later became part of the American Dance Company. He co-stared with Gregory Hines in the movie, "White Nights".

To see him dance the Gregory Hines is to watch beauty and flow in action. They both dance as if no was watching them, or they didn't care what people thought about them watching.

I envy them.

I was thinking about this the other day while I was working out. The exercise room is a large place with lots of machines all in rows, one behind the other. If you are in the back row, you see everyone ahead of you. While I was walking on a treadmill in the front row, I was aware that others might be watching me. I kinda limp on one side and my feet are not straight on the floor when they land, more so if I run. I was thinking about how many people might be watching me.. assuming anyone was.

See, there is the hard point about it. How many people would actually be watching?

I think almost all of us like to watch Movie Stars in action. Millions will tune in to watch the awards show on Sunday. Of most interest is the Red Carpet Walk on the way in. Most stars don't seem to mind being watched. But, that is on film. Those who go on stage and perform are again, people I admire.

There are some people who we really ought to wish were thinking about who was watching and what we think of them. The folks in Washington come to mind for example.

Do you ever wonder who is watching and what they think of what you are doing or am I the only one?